February 22, 2008

Start your studying


If you have not been studying your presidential candidates, begin now, things are moving quickly, and it is time to start educating ourselves about them. Last night, on CNN (which I rarely sit and watch for more than 30 seconds) the democratic debate involving Clinton and Obama was shown. I feel pretty silly, but I got so excited at the idea of change, I watched the whole darn thing which didn't start until 12 and ended at 1:30, and was broadcast from the University of Texas in Austin. They talked about border control, and creating pathways to citizenship. They spoke of English as the dominant language and movement toward the requirement of every student to study at least a second language to keep us in touch, accessible, and open to the rest of the world. They spoke of creating tax breaks for seniors living off of their Social Security (and paying taxes on it), and average families struggling to make it in today's America by cutting their responsibility by $1000 per year, while at the same time cutting corporation tax breaks for those who send jobs overseas, and for those making a higher level of income.
I battled initially with my decision between these two candidates. I feel strongly about them as people. I see benefits for each of them as members of our government, and I think that they both may offer extreme benefits to our nation. However, tonight I have seen a Senator Obama that I believe will best serve our country in the coming election and the duration of his presidency.
Many of the fall backs Senator Clinton waged against Senator Obama was the "inaction" and the words he spins in speeches and books. "He has less experience in government." He is a Senator, as is she. Does she have more experience because she lived in the White House? I want to examine them. He retaliated with a comment that as Senator one of the actions that he was able to instill was a change in policy where Walter Reed Vets, who previously while in hospital receiving care had to pay for meals. Do they want Universal Health care? They both argue they do, however they have different plans in how to achieve this goal. From what I have gathered while typing Clinton would instill a tax like deduction from income where everyone pays into a pot like Medicare, FICA, or whatever those other big money suckers are. Obama's focus is more on lowering premiums and making it more affordable for everyone, especially parents.
Okay, I am falling asleep and the debate us over, but I wanted to warn everyone that the Democratic Candidate will be determined in Colorado in August.
Post-debate, the reports concur that Obama starts off behind and then blows by Clinton in the conclusion of the debates! Pretty awesome. Rock on Obama!

No comments: